Democrat Messinger Sat May 24, 1879

Mr. Sewell Gerrish, whom we made mention of in our last as being quite sick, died at his residence last Sunday morning, May 18, at seven o’clock.  He has resided upon the farm of which he was an occupant at the time of his demise for forty years.  The deceased was one of the pioneers of Brown county, being among the first settlers of Elkhorn township.  He was born in the little village of Boscawen near Concord, New Hampshire, in 1809, and removed to this state in 1839 and settled upon the place where he departed this life.  In 1846 he was married to Miss Mary E. Groves, by Rev. Mr. Ballard of Perry, Pike county, Ill.  His wife bore him nine children, six girls and three boys, one of the boys being dead; the rest are still living; four of the girls are married.  Immediately after Mr. Gerrish arrived here from the east he built a saw mill upon Magee’s creek, on among the first ever built in this part.  The mill caught fire in 1816 and burned down, but was immediately rebuilt.  It withstood the storms until 1850 when it was washed away.  Mr. G was a man of uncommon constitution having done a great deal of hard work during his past life.  He was man that was thought a great deal of, having a great friends.  He has held all of the township offices at various times, from supervisor down to road overseer.  His funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Dunlap,.  After the services were over, the deceased was followed to the grave yard by a large number of friends and relatives.  He was buried at the Marden burial ground.   Observer.

  • Contributed by Anita Woodard