Henry Herman Holtkamp was born May 1, 1824, in Ladbergen, Prussia, Germany. He came to this country with his parents in the year 1837, at the age of 14 years, and settled in Dubois County, Indiana.
He was admitted into full membership with the Evangelical Lutheran church in his youth. Afterwards he was educated for the ministry in the Lutheran church and began his active work in the year 1857. He has ever since sought to serve the Lord as opportunity presented itself and the Lord gave strength and grade. He remained true to the doctrine and usages of his church to the end of his life.
He was united in marriage to Christina Koenig [Telljohann] of Evansville, Indiana in 1859. To this union there were born four children of whom two survive. With these he came to Illinois in the year 1867. He built the First Lutheran church at Pea Ridge, this county, and served it for quite a number of years.
He was married the second time to Hilkia Welms [Willms], June, 1869. To this union were born nine children of whom five survive. His two companions and six children have preceded him.
Father Holtkamp leaves to mourn his departure an aged sister of St. Mary, Ohio; one brother at Evansville, Indiana; seven children and thirteen grandchildren. All his children were present at the funeral except Francis and Hilkia Holtkamp who reside in Oklahoma.
Father Holtkamp had been in failing health for about a year. During his almost unbearable suffering, he found much consolation in the word of God, passages of which he quoted freely, offering up prayer to the Lord to sustain him till the final summons, which came Saturday, February 1, 1908. His age was 83 years and 9 months.
Rev. William Rosenstengel, D.D., of Carthage, preached the funeral sermon at the house and otherwise conducted the services, after which the remains were taken to the Hippen cemetery and laid to rest.
The children living are: Francis and Hilkia of Oklahoma; Annie Swinson [Swenson] of Bushnell, all married. The unmarried ones are Louisa of Chicago, and William and Frieda of Timewell.